Friday, August 9, 2013

In the beginning,...

On the 11th October 1981 I bought this bike (I was 13 years old) for NZD$225 after saving for 5 years.
Yes,.. that's right,.. 5 years.
Five years is a long time when you are 13 years old.
Needless to say,..this purchase was not the best decision I have ever made in my lifetime
11th October 1981


When I was seventeen years old, I bought a 1981 Honda CB400N 'Super Dream' and basically stopped using the little Yammy100.
When I was about 20, may Father sold the Yamama100 to the local High School's metalwork teacher.

About 20 years later, my Father came across the bike in a shed 'somewhere'.
Motor out, Pre-restoration.
He was given the bike after making inquiries, and then gave the bike to me thinking that I might like to restore it.

I finally have restored the bike.

The main problem was that part of the crankshaft had worn. It was spinning inside a main bearing.
Getting this crankshaft part  machined and hard-chrome plated and re-machined took approx. 6 months simply because <a person> took forever just to send the part off the the chrome platers, despite many "encouraging" phone calls made by me.

Hard chrome plating
Every bearing and seal has been replaced. Yes indeed.
Rebore piston and rings to 0.5mm oversize. New conrod.
1mm skimmed off the head to give 1.3mm squish (yes,.. its a two stroke)

I pulled the bike completely apart and cleaned pretty much every part.
I restored it "as is". No new paint.
I found this type of restoration to be a bit unsatisfying, but certainly cheap.

On the road
Fully reconditioned engine
New Exhaust baffle
New "Yamaha" tank badges
New Air filter
New RH switch block
New 6V battery
New gasket set
Rusty petrol tank, but new fuel tap and in-line filter.
New spark plug
New fork fluid
New two-stroke oil. I think the old stuff was 30W-40 engine oil !!
Lots and lots of cleaning with cutting compound and a wire brush on the chrome rust.
That's it.
It is in an "original" state.

Note that when searching online for parts for the L2G, it is very useful to include searches for "YL2" and "LT2" as they share many parts.





No comments:

Post a Comment